Sunday 5 February 2012

My first ever run in the snow

This weekend I visited the local shops in West Wycombe to ask if they would put my fundraising poster up. Everyone was really friendly and was happy for me to put one up, and check back in with them again in the summer. It felt good to have some local support.

This morning, I woke up at about 7.55am eager to see the snow in the daylight. We had around 12cm fall here overnight. After having a few of what can only be called 'gacky' (as my husband termed them) crumpets and a cup of tea we made our way out. This year they seem to have done a good job with the roads which we were fortunate for.I have never run in the snow. The route we decided to run was one that we have done many times. It is around 9km and probably a bit more. It involves running a lot by the river, through footpaths, over bridges and through woodland. It was incredibly pretty in the snow.



We saw a tiny little wren, badger footprints, excited dogs biting at the snow and swans making their way along the icy river. Underfoot it was hard work, in parts the snow was more than ankle deep. It was tough work on the legs and feet, which were mightily cold! To keep myself motivated I looked around at how pretty everything was and thought about getting back to the car where my warm and dry socks awaited. Those out walking their dogs looked at us like we were mad, including some calves...


I would recommend running in the snow for anyone who has not done it before. For what it is worth I will definitely do it again.

In terms of km's I am doing well and  I am confident that I will reach the 1000 by the end of this year. This week I need to plan next weekends run. I would like to run a brand new route somewhere in the home counties. If anyone has any ideas or has a favourite running route  between 12-16km that they would like to share with me do let me know!

So for what is left of this weekend, enjoy the snow wherever you are and whatever you might be doing.

BYE BYE!




1 comment:

  1. Well done Tor, incredibly proud of you and your humour shines through your writing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete