Monday 25 June 2012

Dash For Dad 10km

On Sunday 17th June I took part in Dash For Dad 10km race held at West Wycombe Park for the Child Bereavement Charity. One of the charities I am raising money for in Challenge 1000. I ran the same race last year, which was the events first year. So on 17th June I returned to take it on again.
The day was blessed with lovely weather and the whole event had a lovely feel to it. West Wycombe Park has some challenging hills, in which the running routes take in. There are three major hills on the 10km run, each requiring mental and physical strength. I was happy with my start, making it up and down the first hill in good time.

Coming downhill after 2km, with the first major hill done (photo courtesy of George Mardall)
However after 5km I felt a little depleted - all the running I have done this year has finally started to take it's toll on my body. Yet the atmosphere of this race  and the lovely people around me kept me running.

I finished in just over an hour. It's a very tough run but one that is very rewarding at the end. Not only because you have achieved such a tough run, but you know you have run it to support an fantastic charity based only a few miles away from where you have run.


The Dash For Dad races will be held again next year on Father's Day. If you live close to Buckinghamshire please consider entering. You have the option of a 5km or 10km run that will guarantee you stunning scenery and a fantastic atmosphere! I will see you there :-)

Thank you again to all those who have sponsored me. I am nearly 600km in to my 1000km challenge and couldn't have kept going without the support people have shown me.

As you may know, I have been running lots of race tracks up and down the UK and in mainland Europe for this challenge. Race tracks are important to my challenge, as alongside the Child Bereavement Charity I am raising money for Cancer Research UK.

I am a huge motor racing fan, just like my Grandfather, who died of cancer in 2008. I have run and had exclusive access to Silverstone, Goodwood, Thruxton, Rockingham, Zolder (in Belgium) so far this year. I will be running Donington Park this Friday 29th June (so there will be another blog instalment shortly!)  My final race track will be the Nurburgring on 1st September.

If you haven't sponsored me yet and you would like to, please visit my Challenge 1000 fundraising page.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment