Saturday 28 April 2012

Zolder to the Rescue!


This week I had the very disappointing news that my run in aid of Challenge 1000, due to take place at the Circuit de Spa Francorchamps, could no longer go ahead as I found out that the race track itself will be in use the day I arranged with them to run on it!!! Grrrrr! I had booked travel to Belgium and accomodation in advance and it looked like the trip was going to be for no reason......

However..... Circuit Zolder came to the rescue and kindly invited me to come and run on their race track. From 5-6th May the circuit is holding its annual CleanWeek2020 event. Clean Week 2020 aims at providing an annual review of future oriented technologies in the fields of mobility and environment, blended into an appealing mix of sporty, educational, technological and recreational elements.

In the 1970's and 80's Zolder hosted the F1 Belgian Grand Prix. On May 8, 1982, Gilles Villeneuve died after an accident during the final qualifying session for the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder. I will be running this circuit a week before the 30th anniversary of his death. His son, Jacques Villeneuve, was the F1 World Champion in 1997. The Grand Prix circuit in Montreal is named after his father.

In 2008 the Top Gear team visited this circuit, with Jeremy Clarkson racing one of my favourite people of all time - the awesome Sabine Schmitz -to do a Top Gear vs The Germans challenge racing Mini Cooper Hatchcbacks.  

Already I feel a great fondness for this circuit and I am looking forward to getting to know it a little better :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment