Saturday 7 April 2012

Further travels along Route 61

My alarm went off at 8am this morning. I had pretty sore legs from the day before's physical activites (including a run just under 7km). I got up, had a bowl of cereal, a slice of toast with peanut butter, a cup of tea and set off. I have run cycle route 61 before in a run I did to Windsor Castle earlier this year. However the route also follows directly to Heathrow, so I thought I would get as far along as I could depending on how much fuel I had in my tank. Which was not a lot today.
For the first 8km of running I had to fight the urge to throw up. I just wanted to puke my guts out!  To say I felt empty was the understatement of the century. I wouldnt advise doing a body pump class, followed by a spinning class, followed by a run the day before a half marathon distance run. Bloody knackering!

Yet amongst the pain there were some lovely distractions on this run. The Jubilee River is really pretty. There are plenty of parks, countryside and greenery, a beautiful clean river which is home to many swans and cormorants. Different views of Windsor Castle are a prominent feature. Plus if you are an aeroplane fanatic, you will always see many in the skies above!

Just before crossing the bridge over to the nice little village of Datchet you get to run through Ditton Park. The park dates from before 1086 and it covers about 80 hectares. It did look like it would be a nice home for deer but I didn't see any. Reading up on it, lots of deer had a home there once upon a time. The park is now owned by Computer Associates Ltd. who have set up it's European Headquarters in the form of quite a nice large glass building within the park. This company kindly opened up the land to the public and route 61 not that long ago. Within the park is also Ditton Park House, a moated country house, which seems purely an ornamental aspect of the park. Today the planes were coming in to land over it.  

Crossing over a bridge across the M4 just before Junction 5, entering the edges of Datchet going in to Colnbrook, I arrived at a nice halfway stop point. The Queen Mother Reservoir is home to lots of sheep and their lambs. I managed to get a good shot of one incoming aircraft.
At the half way point I had run just over 10km.  So by the time I got back to the car the run would be over 20km. I was feeling a little less sick at this point. But I was running like a rag doll, all over the place and limp!

By the time I got back to my car it had just started to rain properly. I have to say my legs felt so broken on stopping at my car (Christine the Citroen C1) I had to lean on her!! I had run 20.47km.

So this week I have run in total 27km. I would like to do a 30km week at some point, but I am going to rest and gather the strength first. I am looking forward to tomorrow, it has been a while since I have had a Sunday where I haven't run.
For those reading who have yet to sponsor me you can now do it via text!! I have set this up for those who just want to donate a little bit. Remember, every penny counts and good things come in small packages :-)

It is free to sponsor me by text. All you need to do is send my unique fundraising code KVWN78 followed by the amount you want to donate £? to 70070  e.g. To: 70070   KVWN78 £1
Or to sponsor me online click here. 

Happy Easter to all, thank you for your continued support :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment